Sunday 20 February 2011

Doing it Wrong

As I sat in the lunchroom today observing my coworkers, I noticed something. This thought swirling around my mind finally became clear - they're doing it wrong.

We, us human animals, are performing even the simplest tasks incorrectly.

Susan, a gargantuan woman who talks endlessly about how little she eats, dipped her spoon into her yogurt, and brought it to her face. She put the spoon in her mouth, and the yogurt disappeared. She repeated this movement, while watching and listening to Todd complain about a customer. Susan sat still, in what I suppose was a comfortable slouch, as Todd talked between mouthfuls of sandwich. Others crossed or uncrossed their legs, scratched itches, chewed food, worked on crosswords, and interacted with each other. All of the time they behaved in ways that we have collectively deemed to be correct.

Six of my coworkers lunched as I watched. They varied from moderately content to intensely frustrated. This is the range of emotions I observe each day in the grey world of Mainstay Building Supplies, Ltd. This is the range of emotions I observe everywhere.

It's quite the time. We can go anywhere, do anything, learn anything. Our endless options leave us miserable. The choice is not enough. Freedom is not enough. We must learn how to use our freedom, our endless options, correctly.

This blog will serve as an instruction manual. By stumbling upon it, you have become open to learning how to get it done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment